Memories, Dreams and Reflections of the 16th Karmapa: Everything Stopped


by Susan Neumeier

In 1980 His Holiness Karmapa came to many Vajradhatu Centers in the United States.  I first saw him when he visited RMDC in Colorado, (now Shambhala Mountain Center, home of the Great Stupa of Dharmakaya). I’d been practicing less than a year and had just driven in from Texas.
Before the Black Crown ceremony, he blessed a new retreat cabin, where a tree was being planted to honor the occasion. I was late and was running down the dirt road in high heels from the main area up to the top of a rocky hill. A small crowd of American student types were standing around. Someone was digging a hole and there were some people in robes. I didn’t know what was going on or anyone there. Then, I noticed one man, a monk, who was so very still. He was just standing, completely at ease. I stared at him, feeling anxious, breathless and confused. And through that crowd of people, I felt he looked directly at me. Everybody was talking or moving about, but for me, everything stopped. There was nothing, just cessation. I had no words then and few now to describe that feeling of clear open space. I learned later that day, at the Black Crown Ceremony, that the monk was His Holiness Karmapa.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hwayue Foundation: Notification on the Cancellation of the Diamond Sutra Teaching - teaching by HH the 17th Karmapa

Sikkim CM Chamling Seeks PM Modi’s Permission For Exiled Tibetan Leader’s Visit - News18.com

An Announcement From The Gyalwang Karmapa About The Recent Tragic Events Concerning Two Tibetan Children

The Benefits of Veneration at Rumtek Monastery

His Holiness 17th Karmapa’s First Visit to UK & Palpung Wales on the Road - Palpung Changchub Dargyeling

On Confidence in the Dharma: An Interview with H.H. the 16th Karmapa (Densal)

Celebrate! Gyalwang Karmapa's July 2017 Visit to KTD - KTD

His Holiness the 17th Gyalwang Karmapa visits U of T - Ho Centre for Buddhist Studies at University of Toronto

The Power of Unbearable Compassion - Lion's Roar

Announcing Adarsha for Android Reflecting ancient texts in new ways