Memories, Dreams and Reflections of the 16th Karmapa: Blessing Power



by John Tischer
In 1974 the 16th Karmapa visited the Vajradhatu Seminary taking place in Snowmass, Colorado, which I attended. At the time my mother was diagnosed with terminal cancer.
I was a server for the Karmapa’s monks one morning when Freda Bedi, the Karmapa’s secretary, was there. I told her about my mother, and couldn’t keep myself from crying.
She grabbed me and literally threw me at the Karmapa’s feet and spoke to him in Tibetan. He was smiling the whole time, and gave me a blessing. The next day I was given a protection chord for my mother, but it was different. It looked like a tiny macrame, about three inches long, with many knots. I was instructed to have my mother wear it. I attended my mother the last couple of months of her life. She wore the chord for some time. My mother was schizophrenic, but when she died, her mind was clear as a bell.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

'It's difficult to make balance': Dalai Lama successor navigates modern world - CBC Radio

The Karmapa Visits the World of Nepal in England

Tibetan Buddhist leader the Karmapa discusses climate change and Tibet Third Pole during first visit to UK - International Campaign For Tibet

His Holiness the 17th Karmapa’s First Visit to the United Kingdom - Contact News

Press Release - Major Tibetan Buddhist Leader, The Karmapa in Canada for First Official Visit

The Gyalwang Karmapa Visits a Hindu Heartland in London

Greed biggest issue of the environment, Tibet’s Karmapa Lama says - Toronto Star

Times of Joy and Sorrow: His Holiness Reflects on His First Visit to the UK

Teaching Schedule of His Holiness Karmapa in Canada 2017

Return to the His Holiness the Gyalwang Karmapa’s Canadian Seat